Welcome to February, the month of love. Some even refer to February as Creative Romance Month. In our busy day-to-day lives it’s easy to take for granted the important relationships in our lives. Creative Romance Month is all about rekindling the romance and taking the time to show that someone special just how much they mean to us.
While Valentine’s Day probably comes to mind, the thought behind Creative Romance Month doesn’t revolve so much around gift giving, but more about giving of ourselves and spending quality time with those we care most about.
My fondest memories of Valentine’s Day are actually as a little girl decorating my “mailbox” and sharing valentines at school. I would spend hours choosing just the right saying for every friend in my class.
Thinking back, it really was not so much about the Valentines, choosing a special love interest or the actual day. It was more about the warm and fuzzy feeling I felt when giving a small token of kindness to everyone in my class.
So, back to Creative Romance Month. It’s not about extravagant or expensive gifts. It’s about the extra effort put into showing someone you care. And, it doesn’t have to be on one specific day. You’ve got the entire month to get creative.
- a feeling of excitement and mystery associated with love.
- a quality or feeling of mystery, excitement, and remoteness from everyday life.
So, think outside your normal day, your normal ways of celebrating. What can you do to add a little extra spark, excitement and feeling of mystery to your everyday life? What can you do to show someone how grateful you are to have them in your life?
Don’t panic or overthink it. It can be as simple as covering the bathroom mirror with sticky “love” notes, cooking a homemade dinner, or taking care of a household chore nobody really wants to do. Do something unexpected, out of the norm.
You don’t have to go over the top. The small, sincere gestures are often the most meaningful and loving.
And, if you don’t have a significant other – treat yourself with some extra tender loving care. Give yourself a gift of self care with a relaxing massage or visit to the spa. Pamper yourself with a warm bubble bath with your favorite scents, candles and soft music. Maybe you’d just like to spend an afternoon curled up with a great book. Most important – enjoy the moments guilt free – loving yourself is always the best place to start.
Need more ideas for Creative Romance Month? Here you go!
- Snuggle on the couch with a glass of wine, a cup of tea, or even a yummy hot chocolate looking at your wedding album or photos of special times spent together. If you don’t have an album or book of photos now might be a great time to put one together. Take some time to remember when…
- Light some candles, grab your favorite drinks and take time to learn something new about your partner. What is your most cherished memory? What are you most grateful for? If you could see into the future, what would you most want to know? What new thing would you like to do together? Ask about goals and dreams. Tell your life story as if you have just met them for the first time. Give your full attention and be a good listener.
- If you’re busy parents get a babysitter and enjoy a nice meal at home with no kids or other distractions. For the full effect, add some candles and flowers to the table and put on some soft romantic music.
- Turn off the TV, put down the phone and take time to connect, to truly be present with one another.
- Make an extra effort to use kind, loving words every day.
- Have a picnic in the living room – put down a cozy blanket and pillows. Dim the lights, light a fire, burn a few candles.
- Write love notes – yeah the old fashioned kind with pen and paper. Share five things that you love about your partner.
- Write a couples bucket list of things you’d like to do together now, this year, and long term.
- Go to a concert or just play your favorite tunes at home – chill to some love songs or make space to dance it out!
- Go get massages or set up your own home spa and share the gift of massage with each other.
- Don’t forget the power of touch – cuddle, hug, hold hands, kiss and make out.
- Get out in nature – even if that means bundling up – you’ll feel better for it!
Maybe there’s an activity you or your significant have been considering. Now is a great time to try that cooking class, yoga, painting, dance lessons, cross country skiing, learning a foreign language or how to play a musical instrument. Play and have fun! It’s never too late to try something new. Sharing these experiences together can create lasting memories and lots of laughs.
If you really want to go all out…. kidnap them:
Plan a full day or just an evening out. Maybe it’s that weekend trip you’ve been talking about, or just a mini vacation in your own home town. Can you recreate your first date or other special event in your lives? The important part is to keep it a surprise and put the focus on just the two of you.
Share your love with the World
There can never be too much love in the world and nothing compares to the happiness of connecting with others. When we share our happiness it multiplies. Random acts of kindness or a genuine smile can make someone’s day. Send loving vibes to everyone you meet.
February is an extra special month for me personally. I met the love of my life in Ecuador February 16, 2014 and we got married in New Zealand February 20, 2017. It’s been an amazing four years! Any ideas of how we might celebrate Creative Romance Month?